Saturday, April 15, 2006

Early Easter Feast

I know it's ridiculous...I'm really slacking on posting these days. Instead of spewing out excuses, I'll just make this short and sweet so I can catch up to my most recent dishes.

The day before Easter, I picked my brother up in Baltimore after my grad school class lab, stuffed my brother with early Easter dinner and put him back on a train back up to Baltimore all in a few hours. We did manage to get some of the dishes done ahead of time and AC was able to get all the stuff done on my requested to-do list so the major cooking on Saturday really only involved the ham. I have never made a ham before and if you get it already spiral-cut, it's pretty easy to make the glaze that is almost like the glaze on the store-bought Honey-Baked(TM) ham and voilĂ !

To accompany the ham, we had ambrosia (food of the gods!), scalloped pineapple, roasted asparagus, assorted tasty breads, home-made mashed potatoes...













...and a disastrous caramel crunch and vanilla ice-cream cake.














The apartment was simply too hot to keep the ice cream still on the cake layers. If closed your eyes and ate quickly, it really was a mighty fine cake :)

I'm never doing that again.

3 comments:

JC said...

Thanks :)

I do remember how you worked as an ice cream slave all those years...but for some reason I thought you said making cakes was easy! Although, getting all scientific about it, I can see that regular freezers wouldn't be able to beat a good industrial freezer. I was inspired to do this when I saw these oh-so-cute ice cream cupcakes at Maggie Moo's. I bought all the stuff to make the cute miniature-sized cakes but when it came down to it, I ran out of time and then ended up with this gloppy mess. Do you think maybe cupcake size could work better in a regular freezer (less surface area)?

Anonymous said...

My Mom makes a good ice cream cake at home. Let me know if you want the recipe.

JC said...

Lori, we'll have to swap recipes sometime soon! :)