Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Leek, Potato and Tarragon Soup



My parents were in town over the weekend to visit me and my brother who is attending school in Baltimore. They have always heard me talk about cooking but I think they had yet to have a full meal cooked by me. I made the snapper recipe which I posted about on February 8 along with a newly found recipe called Leek, Potato and Tarragon Soup. My dad is very health-conscious so I was concerned about making a creamy soup but this recipe smartly uses a combination of plain yogurt and light whipping cream instead of heavy whipping cream. I would have taken a picture of the whole spread but I forgot...but here's picture of the next day's leftover.

Thanks for all the great photography tips. Maybe now that we are in daylight savings time, I can actually cook and photograph a meal during daylight. I took this picture in the kitchen with the flash off - I think I got somewhat better results but my laminate countertop doesn't provide a pretty background.

But back to the soup...I highly recommend this soup but I would add a few more potatoes to make the soup a bit chunkier and more substantial to suffice as a meal on its own. My brother got shipped back up to school the day before so he didn't get to enjoy the food but I'm sure he had some tasty n' greasy college cuisine. Sorry, DB!

On a side note, did anyone actually enjoy their college dining hall food? :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't miss the dining hall exactly, but I do miss some of the campus food. We had this late night grease pitt in the dorms that had "fried dough". It was sorta like soppapilla, but with a doughy-er middle...*sigh*. I do miss that!

ami said...

College dining hall food was TERRIBLE....I remember having the 50 meal plan for Woodruff and using it only 5 times. Yuck! But I did love the grilled cheese and fries at Juniors! Your soup looks absolutely delicious !

Curt Sawyer said...

VA Tech food sucked at first, but they started working on making it better after I moved out of the dorm.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

sangeet said...

juniors is all i care to remember about campus food... :) and yes, Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Britian and woodruff bit, BUT in the student center they had the most wonderful chicken caesar wraps. mmmmmm, chichen caesar wraps, ahhhhhhhhhggggg!

ami said...

remember the horribly undercooked pan pizzas and breadsticks at the pizza hut? Yuck.

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

Thanks for that scrumptious meal. Your soup did Bolivia proud!!

Dorm chow: Yeah, back in the '60s, it was good (by the standards of the day).

PJJ

JC said...

I miss Junior's. *sniff*

Sangeet, you better be eating enough Junior's chicken fingers for all of us since you are down there! :)

I remember making treks from east campus to west campus specifically on fajita night at Woodruff. Once I lived on West campus, I realized it was total crap.

I'm so glad I have my own kitchen and can cook whatever my little heart desires.

I must admit - our cafeteria here at work is better than most but it's still a pretty penny for lunch.

JC said...

Thanks, pops! I'm glad I was finally able to cook some soup for you guys!