Friday, November 10, 2006

Rajas Jalapeno con Queso



A few days ago, I was really craving the Rajas Poblanos at one of my favorite local Mexican restaurants, Taqueria Poblano,, but it was getting late, AC was stuck at work late and my tummy was getting pretty grumpy. So I decided to make a quick run to Giant to pick up the necessary ingredients to make my own version of Rajas Poblanos. You might ask - what are rajas? Basically, it's just julienned chile peppers combined usually with onions and other spices; it's a pretty common dish in Mexico. Here's a cool website that talks more about the joys of rajas.

I drove down to Giant expecting to be able to quickly pick up the necessary ingredients for the rajas: poblanos, yellow onions, a bulb of garlic, a lime, random Mexican spice mix, flour tortillas, cilantro and a pack of Monterrey jack cheese. I went immediately to the produce aisle because I had an inkling that they wouldn't have any poblanos. Sure enough...no poblanos. I went to Safeway - no luck. So I decided just to get jalapenos instead and try that out. Overall, it was pretty tasty and I think I'd definitely make it again. It's pretty easy - just sauté the veggies with spices and a squirt of lime in an oven-safe pan, top with cheese, throw pan into oven until bubbly and then remove and top with cilantro. If you love cheesy and spicy things, it's a great quick meal.

So this brings us to the question of the day - why are some items so hard to come by at the grocery store? Subquestion - Are my standards too high as a grocery store food snob or are the grocery stores around here inferior?

Speaking of grocery stores, I think we should be having some good grocery stores readily available to us in the near future. According to National Gateway Arlington's website, the developer of the area that includes our condo complex, Elwood Thompson’s, Fresh Market and Bloom should be opening over the next few years. Also, a 2-story Harris Teeter will be opening below our condo sometime in the February – March 2007 time frame. I’ve heard lots about Bloom through heavy radio advertising over the past couple of weeks. Apparently, it’s a Food Lion concept store with a new innovative layout. According to wikipedia, Bloom’s layout includes “a TableTop section at the entrance to the store where the shopper can purchase ready to eat foods, deli meats and sandwiches and salads. Next to this is the fresh bakery section which lead to the organic and fresh produce departments. This part of the store provides ingredients which the customer can continue in his/her meal planning. Gourmet Angus beef and meat counter along with a fresh seafood counter occupy the rear of the store. The center of the store offers quality condiments, name brand and Bloom grocery products and household/paper products. The end aisles are devoted to frozen and dairy and a pharmacy occupies the front side corner next to the Customer Service counter.” Apparently, they have little stations to look-up recipes and other computer-integrated shopping features. But my question is, with all this great technology and innovation, will they manage to have poblanos? :) I think I should make a bigger effort actually growing some of my staples next year.

On a side note, we have our condo walk-through next week!

8 comments:

sangeet said...

no fair, that sounds so yummy... now I'm hungry! :) Yay for the condo walk-thru!

Unknown said...

And what's funny is that within 5 minutes of our house there are at least 4 stores that sell poblanos, and one of them is a Safeway :)

Rajas often get served with potatoes as well. Good stuff.

ami said...

JC, your dish looks delicious. I'll have to try that sometime.

I know we've had the discussion about how much the grocery stores in this area suck. I feel like the grocery stores back in GA where so much better. I'm a little skeptical on the Bloom thing, because it's just a glorified Food Lion - with a better layout. But hopefully the selection will be better. I guess around here the best way to get some produce is to go to Farmer's Markets or something like that. To bad Wegman's is soooo far away -they had a very impressive produce section the last time I was around there. Let us know if you do finally find a place that carries poblanos! I think I did find them a few times at the Whole Foods near my house.

Anonymous said...

XPTOer,

Wonderful to see the blogging has resumed! And that it zoomed back to life on the back of one of my favorite peppers ( ajíes or chiles) ain't none too bad either.

Anchos, of course, are THE ingredient "container" in chiles rellenos. Which means that you can stuff those suckers full o' goodies.

Next time you're down home--during harvest season--we'll trot out to the garden and pick a peck.

Pjj

Anonymous said...

Did you know that cilantro is actually spanish for coriander? I just learned this while listening to Spanish for Travelers on my ipod. I was confused for a moment -why would I need to say coriander? who uses that? ohhhhhh. sweet! I already know that one!

also, a Harris Teeter just opened further up Duke Street by the library. but I s'pose you'll be moving soon anyway... :o)

JC said...

I know of a few places in the area that do reguarly have poblanos and other "exotic" ingredients like that but they aren't regular grocery stores. I guess I just really want to find a good one-stop shop. Back in the days of living in ATL, I could easily go to Dekalb Farmer's market with Margo and get anything our little hearts desired...I miss that. We definitely need a closer Wegman's.

JC said...

Becky - I'm happy to hear that you are learning some Spanish for your trip! I'm sure you'll see that a little goes a long way...

I love that new Harris Teeter - they keep sending us coupons so I plan to at least make a few more trips there before the move. :)

Anonymous said...

oooooo, this recipe sounds so yummy and EASY! even better. if you haven't checked into it yet or it hasn't already opened, since this is an old post;), there was a fresh market in south carolina where i went to school and i loved it. it's kind of an upscale, smallish whole foods. they don't sell everything under the sun, but it's a neat place to shop!
oh and the condo looks great by the way!
much love;)