Saturday, July 08, 2006

Zola's Coca-Cola Cake



I had the honor of making my good friend, EF's, birthday cake for her 30th birthday party this weekend. I am not much of a baker but I was willing to give it a shot since I love her so much! This recipe was passed on from EF's mother...Thanks, Mrs. Frownfelter! The cake turned out SO moist and the coca-cola gives it a nice kick! I will definitely make it again :)

Here's the recipe:

Mix in a saucepan and bring to boil:
1C coca cola
1 stick margarine + a tad
1/2 C oil
4 T cocoa

Remove from stove and add:
1 1/2 C small marshmallows to hot mixture and let melt

Pour this over 2 C sugar and 2 C flour

mix well and add 1/2 C buttermilk
1 t baking soda
2 well beaten eggs
mix well!

bake in greased 9X13 pan
40-45 min @ 350 degrees

Coca Cola Frosting:

3 T cocoa
1 C nuts (pecans- chopped up)
6 T cola
1 stick margarine
1 C small marshmallow
1 t vanilla
1 box (1 lb) powdered sugar

mix cocoa, cola, butter, vanilla and marshmallows.
put on stove and let come to a boil. Pour over sugar and beat with mixer until smooth. Add nuts and pout over warm cake in pan.

I just added the powdered sugar to give it a nice effect in the photo...really not very necessary.

7 comments:

ami said...

As you know, I'm not much of a dessert person. One of my least favorite things is bad cake, like yucky hard store bought stuff.

This cake was delicious! I loved the moistness of it. I was a little hesitant at first because of the coca-cola, but it was yummy :)

Anonymous said...

you certainly did mrs. frownfelter proud. i think you may have even one-upped her with the pinatas!

JC said...

*blush* - thanks!

I can't take total credit for the pinata - a few of us chipped in to make the pinata action happen :)

Kathryn said...

The cake does look yummy...although, it seems like a lot of sugar is added between the coke and the sugar...hehe. I wonder if you can make it with coke zero instead, since it tastes like coke!

Anonymous said...

ahh, my fabulous birthday cake!! Thank you soooo much J!!! I loved it, and it tasted just like mom's.

JC said...

Kathryn,

Good point...although the cake is FABULOUS, it's not exactly sugar-free. :) I bet coke zero would work for the coke portion. I've seen in the grocery store "Splenda Blend" so in a sense, you'd be using that - sugar for the sugar portion and splenda in the coke portion. Perhaps I'll try that out next time! I kidded with E about putting diet coke in it instead..ha ha..I don't think she appreciated that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! This recipe has been given to a lot of folk, but very few have actually made the cake. I am glad you did. Our clan drinks diet Pepsi so each time I made the cake I would go out and purchase one can of coka cola. I got tired of doing that, so I started using diet pepsi and have been doing so for years. I think the diet pepsi gives a slight, almost cinnamon taste to the cake. Thanks for taking care of my baby girl on her birthday! Love ya and hope you journey to Indiana again. Love ya, Rosemary