Friday, January 27, 2006

Asian salad with golden shrimp

So I've been feeling guilty that I've been a.) going to the new Whole Foods for every possible meal imaginable and b.) not cooking this week. Whole Foods is a whole new addiction that seems to be hitting everyone here at work. We really aren't limited with choices for lunch around here but I guess having a high concentration of readily available and pseudo-healthy lunch food all under one roof is very attractive. So, in order that I didn't go to Whole Foods yet again for lunch, I made a simple Asian salad last night for my hubby's and my lunch. I marinated a 1/2 pound of medium-sized shrimp with a mixture of honey and ginger-infused soy sauce for about 1/2 hour, sautéed the shrimp in canola oil (I was too short to reach the bottle of sesame oil) and voilà. I put the shrimp in one little glad container, some chow mein noodles for some crunch in another container and a bagged salad mix in another container. Although the bag came with some salad dressing, the salad really didn't need it because the sauce on the shrimp made its own dressing. I assembled the whole salad at work in the larger container so all the ingredients remained fresh and didn't get soggy. Overall, it was pretty tasty to me and very simple (which apparently has been important the later half of this week). I'd make it again and maybe throw in some other crunchy bits depending on what's available in the cabinet and maybe a little cilantro.

So what does the hubby think about the salad?

Sorry, no picture this time. Just imagine a gladware container filled with green salad, crunchy noodles and golden-colored shrimp. :)

Anyone have any simple tasty lunch recipes for days you eat-in at work?

3 comments:

JC said...

I meant to say favorite homemade lunches :)

I was having problems with too much salt intake so I have eliminated all of those frozen meals like lean cuisine for about 2 years. Sometimes I'm tempted because they are SO easy...

Yum! I'll try out your salad recipe soon! I'm beginning to be a fan of bleu cheese. It was in the no-way stinky cheese category before but when you blend it with some nuts and tame it down with some dressing, it's yummy.

ac said...

shrimp are very tasty and sweet. i think there could be more sauce from cooking the shrimp, which would be a great dressing.

Curt Sawyer said...

1. Place empty coffee mug beneath M&M vending slot.
2. Take quarter.
3. Insert quarter into M&M vending machine.
4. Dump M&Ms into coffee mug.
5. While (Still Have Quarters) Do (Goto 2).
6. Return to office and "drink" M&Ms.