Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Five-Spice Salmon with Leeks in Parchment and Sauteed Snow Peas



It's Monday night again and my turn to cook. I spent some time this past weekend going through old "Cooking Light" magazines searching for some new recipes. AC and I have been trying to incorporate more fish and vegetables into our diet so this recipe was perfect. I have never cooked food in parchment paper before and now I'm hooked. The parchment paper steams the fish very nicely while infusing the spices into the fish.

Here's the recipe:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1134087

Halfway through preparing the meal, we realized that the recipe called for a new kitchen appliance - a spice grinder disguised as a coffee grinder. Granted, we probably could have gotten away with a plastic bag and a hammer or maybe our mortar and pestle but I always love an excuse to shop and in particular go to Target. One comment on the recipe...definitely make sure to use the leeks but make sure to slice them very thinly. I just used a regular chef's knife when I probably should have dragged out our mandoline to get the right thinness.

oh, apparently, I kept moaning and saying "yum" as I was cooking and checking on the fish...so clearly I liked it :)

Time to go to the grocery store to get the goods for tonight's dinner!

4 comments:

JC said...

Show-off :)

Yeah, I am capable of using html but I've just been lazy. I know - it looks lots better. I'll keep that mind next time I write...btw, I love the goats in sweaters. freak. :)

Unknown said...

You don't even have to know how to do the tags. Just highlight the text in the blog editor and hit the link button. Then you just paste or type the link in and it does the rest.

Super super easy!

Unknown said...

It lets you do it the easy way in the post editor. In the comments you're still stuck with traditional tags.

Nevkil said...

A.) Sweet. Goat babies conveniently kept warm for da eating.

B.) I like peas.

C.) Dunno, I guess I needed a C.