Monday, January 23, 2006

Creamy Red Pepper Soup



This week, my hubby and I both are starting up class again for our respective grad school programs. Last semester we both had class on Monday nights from 4:30 - 7:10 so we usually would end up at home by 8 and have to resort to eating something quick and probably rather artery-clogging. This semester we ended up having class on different days so our plan is that each of us take turns making something yummy while the other one is in class so a warm plate of food would be ready when the other gets home.

Monday night was my turn to cook. Apparently, he wasn't big on the idea of beans on toast and requested something warm and comforting like a thick soup. I did a search on the Food Network's website (one of my favorites for recipes) looking for a vegetable soup recipe preferably with minimal starchy vegetables. So that didn't happen but I found this recipe called "Creamy Red Pepper Soup" (as if you didn't already know the name):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30747,00.html

I decided to omit the mascarpone cheese, add in a few more carrots and top it with a dash of red chili pepper flakes. The recipe calls for pureeing the entire soup until smooth but I decided to puree only half so it had a nice mix of a creamy broth with some chunks of potatoes, carrots, onions and a few peppers. Next time, I think I'll up the chunkiness by adding a few more carrots and maybe another tater and then maybe only puree the red pepper portion of the soup. I highly recommend this to everyone. It's simple and tastes like a soup you'd find in a 5 star restaurant. Also, overall, it's just a visually appealing soup (although I'm not sure if the picture does it justice).

The recipe comes from a foodtv chef named Giada De Laurentiis who has a show called "Everyday Italian". I've never really been intrigued by many of her dishes but now I might tune in. I figured she was just eye-candy for the male watchers of foodtv but maybe she actually has a tiny bit (not giving her too much credit yet) of talent underneath that way too perfect facade. I guess I don't know if I should trust a skinny Italian chef - something just doesn't seem right.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm at work, so I can't be very specific about where the weight goes on Giada, but if you watch her show for 10 seconds you'll figure it out.

I like her marinara sauce recipe, btw. Good stuff.

Nevkil said...

Giada... My goodness. She can cook my heart if she wants too. I'm sure it'll be oven baked, topped with cheese and accompanied with sexy mood music and great lighting. And yeah, the weight goes to her uh... roast.

JC said...

geez, I figured my comment would likely start a drool-fest. At least I've gotten one comment on her recipes rather than on her...roast :) tee hee.

ac said...

I like recipes where she uses the broiler under the oven.

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! I'm a big fan of soups as well. No red chili pepper flakes for me though ;o)

Now I wanna see the sexy Italian lady in action too. oh if only I had cable! sigh.

Unknown said...

Rachael Ray? Eh. No big deal.

Anonymous said...

For the longest time, I actually though Giada was a midget. They never showed her entire body for a while and I noticed how huge her hands were. Anyhow , I know she's not anymore! The soup looks yummy :)

JC said...

So even though she's beautiful, she has a majorly disproportionate body. That makes me feel better :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think Giada eats anything she makes...which makes me not want to eat her food. I like Rachel Ray because she's just normal sized, but I actually don't like what she cooks...and she never washes anything before she cooks with it which is weird.