Sunday, February 12, 2006

Creamy Corn Soup with Crab, Shrimp and Poblano Chile




So it's official...I am a soup fan. Contrary to the last post, I've realized that I am starting to not only enjoy soups but crave soups. Maybe it's because we were pretty much trapped indoors today due to all the snow last night and a nice warm soup always seems to complement a cold, crisp day.

We used a recipe from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless - a fabulous recipe book given to A.C. by his brother, a fellow Mexican food fanatic. The recipe has a few variations - it is suggested to include (a) chicken or ham for the meat eaters, (b) asparagus or zucchini for the veggie lovers or (c) shrimp and crab for the seafood enthusiasts. We went with option (c) and it yielded very tasty results. I've already finished my bowl but A.C. is busy chowing down on his. Here's his opinion on the soup - he said something about doing inappropriate things to the soup. No one needs to know any details about that. On a more appropriate and internet-friendly note, he said it is "nice and creamy" and the jalapenos (we used jalapenos instead of poblanos) add a "perfect bite" while the "corn bits and crab add a perfect texture to the creamy base". I agree. :)

If you want a copy of the recipe, let me know :)

Oh, if I keep saying "I did this..." and "I did that...", I really should be giving more credit to A.C. He is just as much as a cooking enthusiast as I am plus he probably has watched many more hours of food network than I. He always does half the work of pretty much any meal we make. Thanks, A.C.! btw, he didn't put me up to this...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your being a soup fan is none too surprising. I expect its roots might be in Bolivia, "land of soups," as Patty or Joaquin might've suggested.

PJJ

Nevkil said...

Wow, I need to catch up on my patentlydelicious it seems. Heck I just need to visit you guys and help cook ( i mean eat ) your wares. On a side note, I got ticks to see Deathcab in april day after your B-day JC. (at least I think so if memory serves).

JC said...

Yay to Death Cab and visiting :) As you know, you are always welcome to come eat our food and more importantly enjoy our wonderful company (right???). I would love to see Death Cab again...it's been too long.

JC said...

I can't remember if I've had that Bridgetown soup or I've just heard you describe it before. Obviously, you must have described it well if I'm confusing it with real experiences. I wonder if there's a version of that soup recipe floating around on internet. sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

Jen and AC,

I'd suggest you have a hand(s) at Frances' potica (this Slovene pastry is pronounced, "PO-TEATs-UH"; stress on the "TEATs", sportsfans).

If you all can pull off that coup, then you will have earned your first * in the cooking ratings gumbo.

PJJ

Anonymous said...

Hi I would love to get this recipe! We have a Mexican place near us that makes it and it's addictive! PLEASE send me the recipe.

Netherconnie@yahoo.com

THANKS!!! Good cooking!

Connie