Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Superbowl Sunday - Veg Head Chili




Forgive me, I'm still catching up from last week's cooking festivities. :)

Let's go back a few days ago to Sunday. As everyone knows, Sunday was the Superbowl. I really don't think anyone was actually too excited about the game but it was a great excuse to get together. Personally, I'm not a huge football fan but two things I do love about the Superbowl: the ridiculously expensive and sometimes entertaining commercials and the perfect excuse to pig out. A.C. and I were invited to a Superbowl party over at our friends' house. They just came back from a ski trip that day so I figured that we should try to help out and bring a main dish to their party. A.C. and I discovered this chili recipe a few months ago on the foodtv website and fell in love. The recipe is very simple (seriously, the hardest and most time consuming part is opening all the cans of beans) and is an overall crowd pleaser. I have a few vegetarian friends and also a few friends that are regular meat and potatoes type people. Although this recipe is purely vegetarian, it really seemed to go over big with everyone.

Here's the recipe:
(adapted from the foodtv.com website)

2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) olive or vegetable oil
1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 cup pale beer
1 (32- ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can black beans
1 (14-ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans

Toppings:
8 ounces (2 cups shredded) spicy monterey jack or smoked cheddar
Chopped scallions, whites and greens
Chopped cilantro


Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine. Season chili with cumin, chili powder and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top desired toppings.

My friend, R, made some really yummy chipotle corn bread to accompany the chili. Yum!

6 comments:

Scott M. Collins said...

Can you say what particular pale beer you used?

This looks delicious and we're excited to have it this weekend with the cold temperatures!!

JC said...

Oh, it's perfect for one of those really chilly days. I think it's made us comatose almost every time we've eaten it :)

I'm not too sure about the beer. A.C. correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was Anchor Steam Beer. If you don't have any beer around, using vegetable broth is a good substitute.

Anonymous said...

This chili was delicious and filling! And it had the perfect amount of spice :) Thanks Jen!

ac said...

It was Sierra Nevada.

Scott M. Collins said...

it was delicious!
Yum!

JC said...

Oooh! I'm so happy one you tried one of "my" recipes. ha ha..I'm glad Rachel Ray and I inspired you. Your chili picture looks so much more scrumptious than mine! I'm glad you enjoyed it!