Sunday, February 12, 2006

Falafel with minty garlic yogurt sauce



One day last week, we decided to go Middle Eastern for a night. The meal really didn't require too much preparation considering we used falafel mix from a box and pita from a bag. I highly suggest the Near East brand falafel mix mainly because it is pretty much the only readily available mix that has English directions on the box. I almost bought a mix over at an international grocery store a few weeks ago that had a yummy-looking picture but was purely in Arabic. Although A.C. knows a bit of Arabic, I don't know if his knowledge of the language could get us through a whole recipe. Back in college, I remember buying a curry mix based on the picture on the package and was totally clueless about making the dish because stupidly I bought something in Hindi (I think). Lesson learned - only buy foods with directions in a language you have mastered. :)

Anyway, so we prepared the mix, chopped up cucumbers and whipped up a yogurt sauce.

Here's the yogurt sauce recipe:

8 ounces of plain yogurt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 mint leaves, chiffonade
Cumin to taste
Salt to taste

Pretty basic and honestly not too exciting. Although if you like getting falafel at a restaurant, I'd highly suggest saving some money and using the box mix because it's usually just as good. I would like to come up with something creative to put on top besides the usual yogurt something sauce. Any ideas?

No comments: