Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Mother-in-law's pasta salad



A few years ago, before I ever went to visit my parents-in-law, A.C. described to me this incredible yet simple pasta salad that his mom had made for years. A.C. has always had a flair for description; in fact, he intrigued me so much I had a dream about that pasta salad that night. Yes, I'm the only person I know who has had a whole dream about a pasta dish. I finally had the real thing and it did taste just as good as in my dream.

Here's the recipe so you can dream about it tonight:

1 lb short pasta like shells or penne
3 - 4 vine ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
10 basil leaves, torn
a couple of oregano leaves
8 ounces of fresh mozzarella, cubed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 - 3 cloves of garlic, crushed

Combine the tomatoes, basil and oregano into a large bowl. Meanwhile, cook pasta and heat the olive oil and cloves of garlic in a saucepan. Pour the olive oil and garlic into the large bowl. Drain pasta and pour into large bowl. Add the mozzarella. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.

We made this pasta salad last week with pseudo-fresh mozzarella. It wasn't the shredded stuff in a bag but it definitely wasn't the mozzarella in a little plastic container marinated in its own juices. If you make this, please spend the extra few bucks for the really fresh mozzarella. You simply can't beat the taste and it makes for much better leftovers than the really stringy type of mozzarella.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to say that this dish is delicious. Jen made it for a group of us at her old apartment- and I couldn't get enough. And its easy to make!! yummmm.......
I can't wait to have some of Jen and Andy's cookin more often!!
:)

JC said...

B - We can't wait to cook for you!

SMC - it depends on how hungry you are :) I'm guessing with a pound of pasta it should be 4 - 6 servings.

Scott M. Collins said...

That looks heavenly - about how many servings does that make?