Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Snapper with Roasted Grape Tomatoes and Green Bean and Fingerling Potato Salad



For Monday's dinner, A.C. requested a dinner having some combination of tomatoes and fish. I love to have a quest and search for things - that's probably why I am a Patent Examiner. One of my trusty standby websites that allows for ingredient searches is allrecipes.com although I wasn't too inspired by any of the results. But I do highly suggest this site if you are searching for recipe using certain ingredients - it's a great way to make a meal by cleaning out your pantry.

Instead, I found this recipe (adapted from foodtv website):

2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Pinch red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
4 (6-ounce) snapper fillets, with skin
Freshly ground black pepper

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, pepper flakes, and salt, to taste. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast until the tomatoes get juicy, about 15 minutes. Transfer tomatoes to a bowl and toss with the basil.

Dry the fish very well all over. To keep the fish from curling in the pan, lightly slash a cross-hatch pattern into the skin of the fish with a sharp knife. Brush the rounded flesh side of the fish with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the fish, seasoned side down, in the oil, and cook undisturbed over high heat, until the fish turns both opaque along the edges and golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Lightly salt the skin side of the fish. Flip the snapper and turn off the heat and let the fish cook in the residual heat of the pan until the fillets are firm but still juicy, about 1 minute more.

Divide the fish among 4 plates. Top with the tomatoes and serve.

****************************************************************

I do realize that the base of this fish recipe does sound a lot like the pasta salad :) ha ha... So that's probably why I gravitated towards it.

****************************************************************

As an accompaniment, I made a green bean and fingerling potato salad.

Here's the recipe (once again, adapted from foodtv website):

2 pounds purple and/or white fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs such as chives and garlic chives (with blossoms if desired) and thyme, parsley, mint and summer savory leaves
Mustard shallot vinaigrette (recipe follows)

In a large kettle simmer potatoes in salted water to cover until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes, and drain in a large colander.
In a large saucepan cook beans in 3 inches salted boiling water over high heat until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. With tongs or a slotted spoon transfer beans to colander with potatoes and drain well.

In a large bowl toss together warm potatoes, beans, herbs, dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

Serve salad warm or at room temperature.


MUSTARD SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or scallions
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients except the oil. Slowly add the oil in a stream.

****************************************************************

I think A.C. was impressed. I loved both the recipes but I'm not too sure the savory flavors of the salad really complemented the sweet flavors of the fish. I was really craving potatoes so the salad recipe was a good way to satisfy the craving without going overboard on carbs. The salad recipe calls for a ridiculous variety of herbs considering the amount you actually use in the end. I'd stick to two different types unless you happen to grow those in your garden. I decided to go with mint and chives. I only used a very small portion of mint compared to chives because I was afraid the mint would overwhelm the chives. I also have plans with the mint to make a yogurt-mint sauce for falafel later this week...

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fresh mint rocks! :) Especially for making Moroccan iced tea.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but fingerling potatoes really freak me out. okay I do know why: it's because of their name and they really do look like pudgy little fingers and thumbs to me. but maybe that's just me...

JC said...

Have issues with eating things that look like body parts? Probably a good concern. Just so you know, as a rule, I never serve any body parts in my cooking unlike most fast food joints.