Friday, March 03, 2006

Bow Tie Pasta with Blackened Scallops

My sister-in-law highly recommended this recipe when we visited them in NYC a few weeks ago. The recipe is from a recipe book called "In the Kitchen with Rosie : Oprah's Favorite Recipes". As described by the recipe, "An extravaganza for the eye and palate, this dish teams spicy blackened scallops with whimsical bow tie pasta in a novel cilantro-walnut pesto. It's topped by a roasted red pepper sauce that's as vibrant as it is pungent.". After a description like that, how in the world could you go wrong? Maybe was having an off cooking day that day but the results were extremely disappointing. First of all, the recipe calls for blackening seasoning for the scallops. I could only find blackening seasoning for use outdoors due to the tendency to smoke. So instead I used Emeril's Essence. Contrary to what Emeril claims on his tv show, Emeril's essence is not meant to go on EVERY dish. I think the flavors of the dish did not mesh. I liked the red pepper sauce and I'm a huge fan of cilantro pesto but they aren't exactly the best together. But if I had a personal chef and nutritionist like Oprah, I'd gladly eat anything put in front of me. This dish claimed to have only 4 grams of fat and less than 400 calories per serving...so the dish does get high marks in regards to the healthiness/flavor ratio.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should pick up some Tony Chachere's (sp?) spice mix. It's basically salt with black and cayenne peppers. We use it for eggs and hashbrowns though it can probably be used for blackening too. Emeril's essence has way too much stuff in it to be a ubiquitous spice.