Friday, March 03, 2006

Tomatillo-Sauced Enchiladas: Round Two



A close friend of mine has smartly decided to move back to the area so I decided to make dinner for us the night of her arrival. I do love cooking for friends but it's hard to find a meal that will appease everyone. For example, A.C. has been having headaches so he's trying to follow a migraine-elimination diet meaning no tomatoes, avocados, onions and as well as about 100 other foods, friend E.F. doesn't like onions and hamburger meat and friend B.H. doesn't like spicy stuff. I figured I should make a dinner with an "assemble it yourself" type concept so each person can customize their own meal. I really enjoyed the enchiladas I made back in January from the Rick Bayless book so I decided to try them out again since I thought it lended itself to customization. So I bought onions, green peppers, spinach, mushrooms and Monterrey jack cheese as the filler and finally found the perfect crumbly cheese for the topping. I also bought a canned red sauce as a back-up in case people weren't feeling too adventurous.

I was pleasantly surprised that everyone went for the green sauce and also licked their plates clean. B.H. actually commented this weekend that the enchiladas I made on Monday were better than the ones she had when we went to Guajillo for a friend's birthday. Yipppee! Unfortunately, I don't think I can quit my day job just yet. :)

We topped off the meal with strawberry shortcakes - simple but yummy. Can't wait until strawberries and other fruits are actually in season.





Welcome back, E.F.!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it was the best welcome back dinner i could have asked for! great food and great great company!!
i love you guys!!