Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Chile-Rubbed Pan-Seared Scallop Salad



The lesson of the week is don't blindly follow a recipe. I usually do pay attention to the ingredients and usually appropriately choose whether to use fresh vs. dried/canned/frozen, etc. However, one thing I usually blindly follow is the number of servings - I rarely scale anything down. I figure if I'm going to make the effort to whip up a home-cooked meal, I should treat myself to some leftovers for lunch or maybe even a second serving of dinner the next day. The recipe for Chile-Rubbed Pan-Seared Scallop Salad claims to serve four people. Have you ever tried to sit down and eat 1/4 of a head of cabbage? Geez - It's ridiculous. I really didn't realize that I had purchased a crazy amount of cabbage because I just bought one head. But I realized my mistake after cutting the head up into nice little pieces and realized I had 2 large mixing bowls filled to the top with cabbage. I know it's healthy for you and all that but was quite a task to eat my salad which only had about 1/8 of the cabbage. Sad to say, but the remainder of the salad ended up turning all mushy after a few days of neglect in the fridge. I wound up pan-searing the scallops with a few tablespoons of oil rather than grilling because we haven't gotten a gas tank for new oh-so-cute little Weber Q . The scallops turned out perfectly and complemented the lime and ginger dressing. I think I might make the recipe over again but maybe just resort to putting it over a bag of baby leaf lettuce. If you aren't a scallop fan, I would still highly recommend to at least try out the dressing.

No comments: